Happy New Year’s Eve! Apparently it’s good luck to eat black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day, so I whipped up this dirty rice version for me to enjoy and for Rick to dramatically choke down with a grimace. Don’t worry, the recipe is good. Rick’s palette is usually just chicken strips.
1 T oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 vegan bacon strips, chopped*
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 3/4 c water
1 t paprika
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 t red pepper flakes
1 can black-eyed pease, drained and rinsed)
crack Italian dressing, to taste
*There are options for vegan bacon, or “facon” if you’re feeling wild, but I know this particular kind provides a complete source of protein.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and bacon and sauté for six minutes, until onion is soft.
- Stir in garlic and cook for another two minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add rice, water, paprika, thyme, sea salt, and both peppers to the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until rice is tender and the liquid has mostly been absorbed.
- Remove rice from heat and leave covered for five minutes.
- Stir in black-eyed peas and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with crack Italian dressing to taste.
Serves 6-8. Best wishes in the new year to all the bummed out bakers out there!
Adapted from Vegan Dirty Rice and Black-Eyed Peas.
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get new recipes emailed to you every Monday – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for beautiful food pics and BTS