Hello people, I hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend. This week’s recipe is a healthy take on a classic Caesar salad packed with protein, iron, omegas 3 and 6, and some iodine. It’s not complicated, but it does require either a food processor or blender to make the crumble and dressing. It works great as a main dish or as a side with some Italian food! Enjoy.
1/2 c raw almonds
1/4 c + 1 1/2 t hulled hemp seeds
3 T nutritional yeast
2 t paprika
Himalayan pink salt (or regular sea salt) to taste
1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled
1 garlic clove
2 T + 1/3 c olive oil
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 T dijon mustard
1 1/2 t chia seeds
1/2 t dulse granules*
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced or shredded
5 oz container baby kale
Lemon wedges for serving
*Dulse is a red seaweed that kind of tastes like… bacon. It’s a great source of iodine. This is the kind I use.
- In a food processor or small blender, pulse almonds , 1/4 c hulled hemp seeds , 2 T nutritional yeast, paprika , and sea salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Transfer crumble to a small bowl, set aside, and wipe out food processor.
- In food processor, puree 1 1/2 t hulled hemp seeds , 1 T nutritional yeast, 1/2 avocado, garlic , 2 T olive oil , 2 T lemon juice , 1 1/2 T dijon mustard , 1 1/2 t chia seeds , 1/2 t dulse granules, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Transfer dressing to a small bowl, set aside, and rinse out food processor. I promise this is the last time.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with 1/3 c olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Spread brussels sprouts on two rimmed baking sheets and roast for about ten minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with kale, dressing, and crumble.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Adapted from Kale–and–Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad .
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get my mental health musings and recipes emailed to you directly – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for behind-the-scenes panic attacks and my begrudging, meat-eating husband captured in the wild.
If you or someone you know needs help right now, call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.