If you have some leftover oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes from the Magic Tofu Quiche, we’re about to put them to work! This is one of those dishes you keep eating when you’re really full because it’s just so. damn. good.
1 1/4 c water
2 1/4 c vegetable broth, divided
2 c Israeli pearl couscous*
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper
5 T olive oil, divided
1/2 c pine nuts
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 c black olives, chopped
1/3 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/4 c fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
*Israeli pearl couscous is imperative to use in this recipe as regular couscous makes a vastly different dish.
- Bring water and 1 1/4 c of broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous, sea salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about eight minutes.
- Heat 3 T olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in pine nuts, cooking until pine nuts are toasted and golden brown, about one minute. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining 2 T olive oil in a saucepan. Cook garlic and shallot until softened, about two minutes.
- Stir in black olives and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until heated through, about two minutes.
- Pour in remaining 1 c broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has reduced, about eight minutes.
- Combine couscous, sauce, pine nuts, and parsley, mixing well.
Adapted from Couscous with Olives and Sun-Dried Tomato.