Vegan eggs benny doesn’t make sense, I know. But even Rick liked this one.
7 oz package firm tofu,* sliced lengthwise into 4 slabs
1/4 c tamari
3 T water
2 T maple syrup
1/2 t liquid smoke
1/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c brown rice flour
1/8 t turmeric
3 T dry white wine
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 c coconut milk
1 T nutritional yeast
1 1/2 T Dijon mustard
1 t sea salt
1/2 c cornmeal
2 T whole fennel seeds
2 t garlic powder
1 t paprika
6 T grapeseed oil
1 large vine tomato, cut into four slices
2 English muffins, toasted
1/2 avocado, thinly sliced into rounds
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
fresh chives, chopped
*I like Wildwood.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together tofu, tamari, water, maple syrup, and liquid smoke until well combined. Cover and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium, stir together coconut oil, brown rice flour, and turmeric and cook for two minutes. Add wine and cook for another two minutes. Stir in lemon juice and coconut milk.
- Turn heat up until mixture begins to simmer and then turn down to low for ten minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, mustard, and 1/2 t salt.
- Pour sauce through a fine mesh strainer (this requires rigorous tapping to get through – be sure to isolate yourself so not to bother your husband binge-watching Hart of Dixie). Set aside and keep warm.
- In another shallow bowl, combine cornmeal, fennel seeds, garlic powder, paprika, and other 1/2 t sea salt until well combined. Thoroughly coat tomato slices in mixture before frying.
- In a skillet over medium, heat 3 T grapeseed oil and sear tomatoes on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Remove tomatoes from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining 3 T grapeseed oil in the skillet and add tofu slabs. Cook on both sides until golden brown and crisp.
- To serve, top each English muffin half with tomato, tofu, and avocado. Spoon Hollandaise sauce generally over each and garnish with pepper and chives.
Bummed Out Baker Honest Rating: 8/10
If I could do it again, I’d ditch the tofu. It’s simpler and just as good with only the tomato, avocado, and Hollandaise – I did the leg work.
Adapted from Vegan Eggs Benedict.
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get my mental health musings and recipes emailed to you directly – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for behind-the-scenes panic attacks and my begrudging, meat-eating husband captured in the wild.
If you or someone you know needs help right now, call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.