Happy vegan birthday to me!
Ten years ago this January I stopped eating meat. My friend Brennan loaned me her copy of Skinny Bitch and, despite it’s problematic, shame-y language, I was forever changed.
In one day I began eating vegan, stopped smoking, and ditched caffeine. Three days and one gnarly withdrawal headache later, I reunited with my college sweetheart, coffee. But since that first day, cigarettes and meat have been out of my life.
I ate solidly vegan for a year and a half and was glow-y AF. Over the years I added back in cheese, removed cheese, added eggs, added seafood, removed seafood, added cheese, removed eggs, etc. etc. etc. You get the point. My diet has been tweaked according to my needs, but the primarily plant-based aspect has been steadfast.
So, today I celebrate TEN YEARS of plant-based eating with a vegan recipe I’ve been making since the beginning: chocolate chip cookies.
When I lived in my sorority house meat-loving frat stars would come over and house these things and my sisters even created a Facebook fan page called Bailey’s Vegan Cookies. I mean come on, a fan page for ONE recipe. That is a testament. Enjoy!
2 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 T baking soda
1 t sea salt
1 1/2 c cane sugar
1 1/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c cold water
1 T molasses
1/2 T vanilla extract
4-5 oz chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
1/2 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, mix sugar and coconut oil on medium until creamy.
- Mix in water, molasses, and vanilla until well combined.
- With mixer on low, add a third of flour mixture to wet ingredients until almost completely combined. Repeat two more times until flour mixture is fully incorporated, careful not to over-mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped walnuts (if using) until just combined.
- Using a spoon or cookie dough scoop, evenly space cookie dough balls on the baking sheets about two inches apart.
- Bake for about eight minutes, until the edges are golden brown.*
*Baking times may vary depending on the oven and rack placement. Keep an eye on ’em!
For best results, eat warm ;)
Depending on dough ball size, this recipe yields 30-36 cookies.
Adapted from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch.
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get new recipes emailed to you every Monday – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for more food pics and zany BTS