Here lies John Joseph’s incredible vegan lasagna that will satisfy everyone. If you don’t know who JJ is, he’s a punk musician who got stabbed, shot, and went to prison for a while, and now he’s in his 50s, has eaten vegan for several years, and has done ten Ironman competitions. He’s both abrasive and hilarious.
His recipe is loaded with super foods and spices:
- Asafetida helps gas issues
- Turmeric destroys free radicals in the body
- Molasses is loaded with iron
- Broccoli has chlorophyll, excellent for healing prostate issues
I’m not gonna lie, this recipe is time-consuming, so I recommend making it for a celebration or big family dinner. It is special and so worth it. I love making it, and if I’ve ever made you lasagna, I def love you.
4 T organic Earth Balance
3/4 c olive oil
3/4 t asafetida (hing)*
1 t ground turmeric
1/4 t coriander
1/4 t fenugreek
1/4 t ground cumin
1 1/2 t black mustard seeds*
2 dried chilies, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
5 cups pasta sauce
3 1/4 t sea salt
1/3 c tomato paste
1/4 c molasses
3 t Italian herb blend
I know this sauce ingredient list looks bonkers, but trust the recipe. You will love the end product.
1/4 c coconut oil
8-11 oz Beyond Meat beef*
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 c vegan ricotta (store bought or homemade)
2 8 oz bags vegan mozzarella shreds
1 broccoli head, chopped into florets
1 zucchini, sliced
1 box lasagna, rinsed (not cooked)
1 bunch spinach, roughly shredded
organic Earth Balance, for greasing
olive oil, for greasing
PLEASE READ! This recipe calls for Beyond Meat beef crumbles, but my local store didn’t have those. I got the Beyond Meat hamburger patties instead, cooked them according to package directions, and then broke them up in the pan. It worked great! This particular brand is not necessary, just be sure to look at the ingredient list of whatever you buy (ideally you always do this). Beyond Meat is composed of pea protein, and the vegan ricotta and mozzarella shreds I use are both cashew-based. There should not be anything mysterious in these items.
Also, it is critical that you do not cook lasagna prior to assembling the dish! The lasagna will cook in the sauce in the oven. More flavor is absorbed into the sheets of pasta this way.
- Melt Earth Balance in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in olive oil, asafetida, turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cumin, black mustard seeds, and dried chilies.
- Stir in the tomatoes and allow them to cook down a couple minutes, releasing their liquid and flavor.
- Stir in pasta sauce, sea salt, tomato paste, molasses, and Italian herb blend. Lower heat to a simmer and cover sauce for 30 minutes.
- Melt coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add your “beef”, season with pepper, and cook following package instructions. This should take about ten minutes.
- Remove “beef” from heat and pour into a big bowl. Mix in the vegan ricotta and a handful of vegan mozzarella.
- Place broccoli florets and zucchini slices in a steaming basket over an inch of water in a large pot and cover.* Steam over high heat until broccoli is easily pierced with a fork. When done, move to a large bowl and mulch it up using knives.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large casserole pan with a dollop of Earth Balance and a dash of olive oil.
- Order of assembly:
- All ricotta mixture, pressed down and spread out evenly
- All broccoli / zucchini mixture
- Shredded spinach
- Vegan mozzarella
- Cover pan with foil and bake for one hour.
- Remove from oven, remove foil, and add remaining vegan mozzarella.
- Uncovered, bake for ten more minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining sauce.
*If you don’t have a steaming basket, put your veggies directly into an inch of water to steam and then drain.
Adapted from No Death, No Dairy Lasagna.