2 t chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t coriander
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 t celery salt
2 T olive oil
1/2 large white or yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
~2 c cooked brown lentils
3 T tomato paste*
~2 T water
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
1-2 t adobo sauce from can
8 corn tortillas
~1 c romaine heart, chopped
~1 c tomatoes, diced
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1 c guacamole**
1 lime, cut into wedges
*Like Antoni from Queer Eye recommends, buy tomato paste in a tube vs. in a jar. Rarely does a recipe call for an entire jar of tomato paste, and the tube keeps longer!
**If you’d like to make fresh guac at home, mash together one avocado, lime juice from 1/2 lime, 1/2 t sea sat, 1 garlic clove, minced, and ~1/8 red onion, minced. Of course there are different variations that include chopped tomatoes and / or cilantro, but the five ingredient recipe above is simple and easy to remember on the fly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, sea salt, and celery salt.
- Over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onion, and garlic to a large skillet. Cook until soft and lightly browned, about three minutes.
- Stir spice mix into skillet, allowing to cook 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium and add lentils, tomato paste, water, and peppers. Cook until lentils begin holding together, 3-4 minutes. Season with adobo sauce.
- Optional: Warm tortillas for about a minute in a skillet over medium heat.
- Using about 1/3 c of lentil filling on each tortilla, top with lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, guacamole, and a squeeze of lime.
Adapted from Lentil Tacos.
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get new recipes emailed to you every Monday – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for behind-the-scenes and my begrudging, meat-eating husband captured in the wild.