I had a weird week at school, but a good week in the kitchen. I brought these vegan sugar cookies to class on Halloween and topped them with star sprinkles because those are the spookiest sprinkles I have. The surprise ingredient in these sugar cookies is pumpkin – they’re on theme for this time of year!
1 c organic Earth Balance
1 c sugar, plus more for topping
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c pumpkin puree
2 t vanilla extract
3 1/2 c flour
1 T arrowroot powder
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
2-3 t non-dairy milk
1/2 c organic Earth Balance
1/2 t vanilla extract
3 c powdered sugar
Splash non-dairy milk
- Add softened butter to a large mixing bowl and cream with a mixer.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin. Beat for one minute.
- Sift flour, arrowroot powder, sea salt, baking soda, and baking powder over butter mixture.
- Mix until until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Add non-dairy milk and mix until soft dough forms. If dough appears too wet, add flour 1 T at a time.
- Cover and freeze dough for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and position rack in the center of oven.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop chilled dough into balls, about 1 T each. Arrange 2-3 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Dip the bottom of a glass into sugar and gently mash balls down into discs to help them cook more evenly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or slightly golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and let rest on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a plate to cool completely.
- Rinse mixing bowl clean and add butter. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 c at a time and continue mixing until thick and creamy.
- Splash in a little non-dairy milk to thin. You want the frosting to hold shape once on the cookies, so only add a little milk. Add more powdered sugar if it gets too thin.
- Once completely cooled, frost cookies and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Store covered leftovers at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Yields ~36 cookies.
Adapted from 1-Bowl Vegan Sugar Cookies.
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get new recipes emailed to you every Monday – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for beautiful food pics and BTS