I come alive in Q4, especially October. I’ve celebrated Halloween all month by doing one spooky activity per day, and today I made creepy eyeball hors d’oeuvres. Halloween is on a Wednesday this year, which is a good opportunity to have some loved ones over for a spooky movie and an All Hallows’ Eve themed spread with these EYEBALLS.
16 oz button mushrooms*
1 block extra firm tofu, drained**
1 garlic clove, minced
1 t lemon juice
3/4 t sea salt
1/2 t Italian seasoning
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t black pepper
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T sun-dried tomatoes (from bag, not packed in oil), julienned
1 small can of sliced black olives
*This recipe yields a lot of tofu ricotta, so feel free to double your mushrooms for more eyeballs or keep the ricotta for another recipe.
**If you prefer to avoid tofu, this recipe would be great with a store-bought or homemade cashew cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Rinse mushrooms, pull out stems, and set aside on a baking sheet.
- Puree tofu, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper together in a food processor until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Using a teaspoon, drip a few drops of balsamic vinegar into each mushroom cap.
- Make a piping bag by scooping tofu ricotta mixture into a Ziploc and trimming off a corner. Pipe mixture into each cap so that it creates a small mound.
- Place sun-dried tomato pieces on stuffed mushrooms, and top each one with one slice of olive. Press down gently.
- Bake the mushrooms for 15 minutes, until the caps begin to wrinkle slightly.
Serve warm or room temperature.
Adapted from Stuffed Mushroom Eyeballs.
Subscribe at the bottom of the website to get my recipes emailed to you every Monday!