Sweet potatoes are fabulous for you, and gnocchi is delicious and can easily be made vegan. If you’re intimidated by the idea of making your own gnocchi, well, so was I. Fear not! I was delighted by the ease of this recipe. Also, orange food makes for a good October dish. #spooky
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 T ground flax
3 T water
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t sea salt plus a pinch
1/2 t nutmeg
2 c flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Combine ground flax and water and allow a few minutes to congeal. Mix well and set aside.
- Once cool enough to work with, remove potato peels and mash potatoes in a large bowl.
- Mix garlic, sea salt, nutmeg, and flax egg into the potatoes. Finally, mix in the flour a little at a time until you have soft dough. I recommend the dough blade in a food processor for this part.
- Bring a large pot of water and pinch of sea salt to boil.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface and cut into pieces, roughly 1″ (see photos).
- Drop pieces into boiling water, allowing them to cook until they float to the surface. Remove floating pieces with a slotted spoon.
- Serve with organic Earth Balance or a vegan cream sauce.
Adapted from Sweet Potato Gnocchi.