Look, I get it. Sometimes gorgeous strawberries mesmerize you at the grocery store and the next thing you know you have two pounds of them in your fridge at home. This cake is one great way to use up those summer strawberries.
2 c and 3 T whole wheat pastry flour
1 c cane sugar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
1 c puréed strawberries*
1/3 c canola or olive oil
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T ground flax
3 T hot water
*Wash, hull, then purée strawberries in a food processor or blender.
~4 c powdered sugar
1/4 c organic Earth Balance
1/4 c puréed strawberries
1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 9″ cake pans* with parchment paper and lightly oil.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Prepare a flax egg by mixing the ground flax with 3 T of hot water from the kettle. Allow to sit for a moment.
- Mix the purée, oil, vinegar, and flax egg into the flour mixture. The batter will be very thick, so either use a spoon or the cookie dough attachment of a stand mixer until just combined. Be mindful not to over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly between the cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Mix powdered sugar, butter, purée and vanilla with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Start slowly, increasing speed until frosting is thick, fluffy, and smooth.
- Decorate frosted cake with fresh strawberries.
*For a taller, more narrow cake use 7″ cake pans and bake for about 30 minutes.
I am not a fan of food coloring, but as you can see the strawberries give the icing a gorgeous natural pink color.
Adapted from VEGAN STRAWBERRY CAKE WITH STRAWBERRY FROSTING.