Alright people, another day, another sad looking piece of produce that needs a purpose. A lonely apple has been wiling away its days in the bottom of the wire fruit basket while the bananas hanging above it were eaten, replaced, and eaten again. The apple began to get a little wrinkly and thought Is this all there is in life? and, Is there a retinoid for apple skin?
The answer to both of those questions is, of course, no. The solution is to 1) bake your sad (or happy) apples into this fabulous apple spice bread, 2) take it to someone as a host gift, and 3) be popular.
1/2 c organic Earth Balance
1/2 c maple syrup
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1 t vanilla
2 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t sea salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
3 apples, peeled and shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix butter and maple syrup in a large bowl, using a hand or stand mixer.
- Add apple sauce and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and spices, mixing until just combined.
- Add milk, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in apples.
- Lightly coat a loaf pan in oil to prevent sticking, or line the loaf pan in parchment paper.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a butter knife comes out clean.
This can be served plain, with butter, or syrup.
Adapted from Vegan Apple Pie Bread.