Cornbread casserole is my FAVORITE holiday dish. My mom always makes it and it’s incredibly simple and… complete garbage for you. I found a vegan / gluten-free recipe that eliminates the questionable ingredients and it is delicious! It even passed the Rick Test. #RickApproved
1 c cornmeal
1/2 c almond flour
2 T ground flax seeds
2 t baking powder
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 c cashews
1/2 c non-dairy milk
1/2 c maple syrup
1/4 c coconut oil
2 c whole corn kernels, drain if from a can
1/2 c vegan cheese shreds or organic shredded cheese
- Poor hot water over raw cashews, soak one hour, drain, set aside.
- Preheat oven 350° F. Lightly grease casserole dish, set aside.
- Whisk cornmeal, almond flour, flax seeds, baking powder and sea salt together in a large bowl, set aside.
- Combine cashews, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, and coconut oil in a blender, processing until smooth.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in corn and cheese, if using.
- Poor batter into baking dish and distribute evenly. Bake for 55 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Serves 6-8 people.
Adapted from Cornbread Casserole (Vegan, Gluten-Free).
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get new recipes emailed to you every Monday – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for beautiful food pics and BTS